English Arabic French German Hindi Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

Housing by grabbing river

Print
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

 

 

Friday, March 1, 2013

 

The site of the housing project where the developer is set to build a high-rise, encroaching upon 20 feet of Bhairab River near Daratana intersection in Jessore town. Photo: STAR

By MokammelShuvo, Jessore

 

 

 

A housing company has encroached land of the town's river to build a multi-storey apartment building.

Locals here alleged that Apone Houses Limited, a Dhaka-based company, has already set up a tin boundary grabbing at least 20 feet of the Bhairab River.

The company has also demolished the old building of District Madrasa ShikkhokSamity (a teachers association) there for the purpose.

During a visit to the site recently this correspondent found that the ground work of the apartment project was going on in full swing at Ghope Jail Road for building 'AponeBhairab Tower.'

The old building at the site was demolished following a deal with the Samity, sources said.

According to the deal, the land owner will get 40 percent share of the tower while the apartment company will get the remaining 60 percent, they said.

MujiburRahman, the purchase officer of the housing company who supervises the work, said "The tin boundary has been set up on temporary basis while the tin-sheds will accommodate the construction labours."

He said that the main structure of AponeBhairab Tower will not go beyond demarcation pillar of the river.

IqbalKabirJahid, advisor to BhairabBachaoAndolan, also politburo member of the Workers Party, said that the encroachers first grab the river land by setting up temporary structure and later build permanent structures on the site of the temporary structure.

None of the encroachers of the Bhairab River have so far been evicted during the period of any government, he said, blaming the district administration for remaining indifferent to the encroachment of the river.

Rather a section of officials of the district administration always helped the encroachers in exchange of bribe, he alleged.

Contacted, HamidurRahman, Assistant Deputy Commissioner (Revenue), said that he was not aware of any such incident or allegation.

A team would visit the spot and legal steps would be taken if any individual or company is found grabbing the river land, he said.

 

 

 

Source: thedailystar

 

 


 

 

 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

| + - | RTL - LTR